St. Martin of Tours is located at 1190 North 6th Street, Mascoutah, Illinois.
A Brief History of St. Martin’s
September 26, 1976 – Reverend James L. Clark and around 140 members left Zion Lutheran Church in Mascoutah, IL and formed St. Martin of Tours Lutheran Church.
October 3, 1976 – Services began in the gymnasium of Holy Childhood Catholic School.
May 20, 1979 – Services began in a newly constructed church on a three acre plot donated by members at Sixth Street and Fuesser Road.
1988 – St. Martin’s purchased the adjacent day care center on Fuesser Road and renamed it the St. Martin’s Child Development Center.
1994 – St. Martin’s member Jerry Norton began construction of a Gazebo and Columbarium in memory of his wife Myrna and daughter Filipa.
2002 – St. Martin’s sold the Child Development Center.
2006 – Reverend Clark retired after serving St. Martin’s for 30 years. Reverend James Bannit became the interim pastor.
2008 – Reverend Heidi Wallace was called as pastor of St. Martin’s and serves until 2010.
2010 – Reverend Jan Worms, who served as music director and organist for many years, retired.
2011 – Reverend Waylon Middendorf became the interim pastor.
2014-2018 – Reverend Margo Peterson served as the pastor at St. Martin’s.